From Julie Gorman:
Hot & Sour Vegetarian Soup (adopted from Molly Katzen)
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 oz dried Chinese black mushrooms (Shitakie)
- 3 T dry sherry or rice wine (I’ve always used sherry)
- 1 T cider vinegar
- 3 T soy sauce
- 1-3/4 t salt
- 1/4 lb firm tofu (I've used 5oz) thinly sliced
(I chop it up into small pieces)
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- 6 green onions, minced
- 1/4 t white pepper
- hot chili sesame oil (I put 1 t in the soup when I'm cooking)
- In a small bowl pour 2 cups of boiling broth over dried mushrooms. Cover
with a plate and let sit 30 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms saving the liquid. De-stem if necessary, discard stems
and slice caps.
- Combine remaining 6 cups broth with mushroom liquid and mushrooms. Bring
to a simmer.
- Add sherry, soy sauce, salt, cider vinegar and tofu, lower heat and
simmer 10 minutes. Add hot chili sesame oil if you want the soup to be
hotter. I like adding at least 1 t.
- Whisk cornstarch and 3/4 cups of the soup until dissolved. Return this
liquid to the soup.
- Slowly pour the beaten eggs into the soup while stirring. Add green
onions and pepper cook another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Serve with a few drops of sesame oil on top of each serving.