Tue Oct 22 22:55:17 PDT 2002
Week 09 Notes for CS 3750 -- Fall 2002
- Take Roll.
- Look at the upcoming schedule and homework.
- I posted a ThreadInfo directory and a Prog01 directory with your
first concurrent programming assignment
- Lets look at some homework solutions.
- We are reading chapter #13 (I/O Systems) and some of chapter #14
- Lecture topics are deadlock, memory management, and virtual
- We need to talk about the programming assignment -- look at the "HiHo"
code and the passFood shell code -- see the difference between the
output you get with and without synchronization.
- You need to study the solutions in the text that use semaphores to
solve synchronization prolems: the producer-consumer problem, the
readers-writers problem, and the dining philosophers problem.
- I need to go over part of the worked-out example of application of the
bankers algorithm and finish up with discussion of deadlock detection
before going on to lecture on memory managment.