(Latest Revision: Sun Sep 8 19:25:58 PDT 2002)
Week 02 Notes for CS 3750 -- Fall 2002
- Take Roll.
- Check to see if there are any computer account problems
- I will be in Long Beach on Friday
- Discussion of the Homework due next Monday?
- We have to deal with pre-requisites issues.
- I posted the second homework assignment, due September 30.
- Chapter 01 Synopsis: The operating system makes it convenient and
efficient to use the bare hardware.. Operating systems are
complicated mostly because they have to support concurrent processes.
Different kinds of computers need different kinds of operating
- Chapter 02 Synopsis: Today's operating systems are interrupt-driven.
To protect resources and processes OS designers may employ dual mode
operation, privileged instructions, base & limit registers, and timer
- Chapter 03 Synopsis: To better understand an OS, study the services it
provides and the structure of the software. Processes get services
from an OS by making system calls. To make a system call a process
executes a special instruction that causes an interrupt.
- Lecture Topics from chapters 1-3.
- Example of making system calls from a C program: a
sample client program,
sample server program.